The Eco Bling Story
Who is Eco Bling?
In short, Eco Bling is an eco fashion label creating handmade (in Noosa, Australia) accessories from upcycled materials and planting a tree for every piece sold.
Eco Bling also works with marginalised communities all over the world to respond to environmental concerns, social issues and natural disasters to support the production of environmentally friendly, carbon negative and socially responsible products. Read “OUR STORY” for more.
What does Katie think?
"When I started EcoBling I really didn't know where I was heading. All I wanted to do was use my creativity and business skills to make the world a better place."
"EcoBling has received so much support from other organisations and individuals. Our customers and retailers are a huge reason why we keep pushing. Each time we see a piece sell we know we are creating a positive environmental and social impact. Seeing this keeps us striving to become bigger and bigger."
"I have learnt so much from starting a business in the social enterprise sector, my major lesson has been - if someone can do it you can, you just have to learn how. Also, you have to have grit and determination to run a business, hold onto your dreams long enough for reality to catch up and PLEASE get out of your own way! Listen to feedback, implement it, let your growth be led by your customers."
Contact us to arrange an interview.
Biography of our Founder & CEO, Katie Johnston.
- Born on 20th August 1986
- Born in Taralga, New South Wales, Australia (population just over 280) and grew up on a farm near Woodstock, New South Wales, Australia (population just over 800)
- Went to boarding school from 12 years old to 18 years old. Bullied beyond belief.
- Moved as far away as possible. Lived in England and traveled Europe before studying business administration (for 1.5 hrs) then philosophy, anthropology and sociology at Australian National University before graduating with Distinction from a Bachelor of Behavioural Science (Psychology) at Queensland University of Technology.
- Worked in Conservation, Community Development, Event Management and Business Management.
- Traveled to Europe, Thailand, Nepal, India and Colombia and learnt that the world need more caring people doing more good things.
- Founded The One World Collective (a not for profit) in 2012
- Founded EcoBling in 2014
- Currently living in Eumundi in the Noosa Hinterlands, Queensland, Australia on the Sunshine Coast
- Living with rescue dog/best friend named "Sir Harrison The Great" aka Harris
- Rock climber, adventurer and frequent rainforest explorer
- Favourite quote from Dad: "If someone can do it you can do it, you just have to learn how".
- Favourite quote from Mum: "No one gets anywhere by sitting on their hands."
- Favourite quote: "Just say yes, then deal with the fear later."